LLCBase is your go-to place for everything about LLCs, and it's led by Brian Cohan, who's an expert in the field. Brian and our team are here to give you clear and helpful advice on how to set up and manage an LLC. We've been through the process and know the ins and outs. Our articles and guides are based on real experiences, making them practical for you. We're committed to helping you make smart choices for your business. With LLCBase, you're in good hands as you navigate the world of LLCs.
Hiring a business attorney can be a smart move to ensure that your North Carolina LLC is set up correctly and operates within the bounds of the law. In this blog post, we will discuss the top business attorneys in North Carolina, their features, fees, and the pros and cons of each. This will help you choose the best business attorney for your LLC in The Tar Heel State.
When starting an LLC in North Carolina, choosing the right business attorney is crucial for the success of your business. With so many options available, it can be overwhelming to determine which attorney is the best fit for your needs. In this article, we at LLCBase will explore the top business attorneys in North Carolina and provide the information you need to decide which attorney to choose.
On this page, you’ll learn about the following:
What is a Business Attorney
A business attorney is a legal professional or services provider offering expertise. These attorneys specialize in various aspects of business law, such as business formation, contracts, intellectual property, employment law, and regulatory compliance. Business attorneys can provide legal advice, draft legal documents, and assist in various legal matters related to starting, managing, and protecting a business.
Business attorney services are designed to be more accessible and affordable than traditional law firms. They often operate through user-friendly websites, allowing your North Carolina LLC to access legal resources, submit queries, and purchase legal services. Some business attorney providers offer a range of packages and subscription services, catering to the varying needs and budgets of individuals, entrepreneurs, and small businesses.
The LLCBase Editorial Team has identified the best business attorneys in North Carolina, representing the pinnacle of industry excellence with their efficient and reliable services tailored to address the varying needs of businesses in the area.
5 Best Business Attorneys in North Carolina
These top business attorney providers have evolved to meet the changing legal landscape. They have incorporated advanced technologies, such as artificial intelligence and machine learning, to deliver more efficient and personalized services to their clients. As a result, your North Carolina LLC can confidently rely on these business attorney providers to help you navigate the complexities of business law and ensure your ventures operate within the law’s bounds.
LegalZoom is a well-established legal services provider that began operations in 2001. It is designed to cater to the legal needs of individuals, entrepreneurs, and small businesses. LegalZoom primarily provides affordable and accessible legal solutions, such as LLC formation, registered agent services, and ongoing compliance support. They offer a range of packages, including Economy, Standard, and Express Gold, to cater to various budgets and requirements. LegalZoom’s services also encompass estate planning, intellectual property protection, and legal consultations with its network of licensed attorneys.
LegalZoom offers a comprehensive range of features to assist businesses in navigating the legal landscape. Some of the key features include:
- Attorney consultations: LegalZoom provides unlimited 30-minute attorney consultations on new legal matters, helping businesses get professional advice on various issues, from contracts to intellectual property.
- Legal document review: Business owners can review their legal documents, contracts, and agreements (up to 10 pages each) by experienced attorneys to ensure they are sound and compliant with relevant laws.
- Dedicated customer support: LegalZoom offers personalized customer support, assisting clients with their legal needs, answering questions, and addressing concerns.
- Business tax advice: Clients receive access to unlimited tax advice sessions with certified tax professionals, guiding them in making smart tax decisions and minimizing liabilities.
- Custom legal forms: LegalZoom provides a vast library of customizable legal forms and templates, covering various needs such as employment, contracts, and business operations.
- Annual report preparation: LegalZoom helps businesses stay compliant by assisting in rigorous preparation and filing of annual reports with the required state agencies.
- Intellectual property services: LegalZoom offers assistance with trademark and copyright registrations, protecting businesses’ valuable intellectual property rights.
- Flat-fee pricing: LegalZoom provides transparent, upfront pricing for their services, making it convenient and easy for clients to understand their costs.
Recommended: Hire a respectable business attorney with 100% success rate in litigation cases. We recommend –Our #1 Pick: LegalZoom – ($0 + State Fees) Online LLC Setup
LegalZoom offers various plans and prices for creating a power of attorney and other legal services.
- Basic Power of Attorney – $35
This plan covers creating a power of attorney document tailored to your requirements. This does not include any additional services or consultation with a legal professional.
- Comprehensive Power of Attorney – $45
Under the Comprehensive Power of Attorney plan, clients receive a customized document and access to legal advice from an attorney for one month. After the first month, clients can renew the legal advice subscription at $25 per month.
- Estate Plan Bundle – Starts at $249
The Estate Plan Bundle includes the creation of a living trust, will, durable power of attorney, and healthcare power of attorney documents. Legal advice is also included in this package. Clients can renew access to legal advice at $199 per month after the initial period.
It is essential to check LegalZoom’s website or consult with a representative to obtain the most current information about their power of attorney plans and prices, as these are subject to change over time.
Choosing the appropriate LegalZoom package ensures your LLC formation process is cost-effective and aligned with your business needs. The Basic Plan includes a personalized operating agreement, financial account authorization, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee. More advanced plans, like the Standard Plan and Express Gold Plan, also provide additional benefits such as expedited processing, a deluxe organizer, a personalized company seal, and a binder.
- A well-known and reputable provider
- Comprehensive LLC formation packages
- Excellent customer support
- Higher fees compared to competitors
- Additional charges for some features
RocketLawyer is a comprehensive legal services provider serving individuals and businesses since 2008. They offer a wide range of services, including North Carolina LLC formation, registered agent service, and legal advice from their network of experienced attorneys. RocketLawyer’s primary focus is on providing clients access to a wealth of legal documents and resources, which can help simplify starting and managing a business. They offer two packages – Standard and Premium – and a 30-day free trial for those looking to test their services before committing.
RocketLawyer’s business attorney service offers a variety of features designed to assist businesses with their legal needs.Some of its key features include:
- Attorney consultations: Clients have access to on-call attorneys, allowing them to ask questions and receive advice on various business-related legal matters.
- Document creation: RocketLawyer provides a library of customizable legal document templates for clients to create contracts, agreements, and other legal forms relevant to their businesses.
- Legal document review: Experienced attorneys can review clients’ legal documents (up to 10 pages each) to ensure their compliance and accuracy, providing guidance on any necessary modifications.
- Affordable pricing: RocketLawyer offers a subscription-based model with affordable monthly fees that gives clients access to legal document creation, attorney consultations, and more.
- 30-minute consultations: Subscribers receive 30-minute attorney consultations on new legal matters, allowing them to seek personalized legal advice on a variety of subjects.
- Discounted attorney rates: RocketLawyer offers subscribers a 40% discount on attorney fees when they need to hire a lawyer for more complex matters that extend beyond the provided consultations.
- Registered agent services: A registered agent service is available, ensuring that businesses receive essential documents and correspondence from the state, keeping them informed and compliant with any legal requirements.
- Intellectual property services: RocketLawyer assists with trademark and copyright registrations, helping clients protect their valuable intellectual property rights.
- Document defense: Subscribers have access to Document Defense®, which is a service that connects them with an attorney to defend their RocketLawyer-prepared document if someone else challenges its legality.
RocketLawyer is a legal service provider offering various services, including creating legal documents, attorney consultations, and ongoing legal support. RocketLawyer offers a free trial and a premium plan for its subscribers to cater to different types of clients and their needs.
RocketLawyer offers new users a 7-day free trial, allowing them to explore and experience its features and services. During this trial period, users have access to:
- Consultation with a lawyer for legal questions
- Document defense on RocketLawyer documents
- Document creation, editing, and signing
- Free incorporation filing for new members (excluding state fees)
- 30-minute consultation on new legal matters
- Discounts on legal services
To sign up for the free trial, create an account on RocketLawyer’s website. Be aware that you’ll be automatically enrolled into the Premium plan, which costs $39.99 per month unless you cancel the subscription before the trial ends.
The Premium plan by RocketLawyer is a monthly subscription designed to provide ongoing access to legal services. For $39.99 per month, the Premium plan includes the following benefits:
- Unlimited access to legal documents: Create, edit, and sign any legal document available in RocketLawyer’s library
- Ask a lawyer unlimited legal questions: Receive advice from a network of attorneys
- Document Defense® on RocketLawyer documents: Get help enforcing your RocketLawyer-drafted document in case of a challenge
- 30-minute free consultation on new legal matters: One free 30-minute consultation per legal matter with a participating network attorney
- Discounted legal services: Access local attorneys at 25% off their regular hourly rates for additional legal services, representation, or advice
- Free incorporation services for new businesses: RocketLawyer will waive its service fees for incorporation filing (excluding state fees)
To subscribe to RocketLawyer’s Premium plan, visit their website and sign up for an account. After subscribing, you can immediately access the plan benefits. RocketLawyer operates on a subscription-based model with two primary membership plans: Free Trial and Premium Membership.
- Access to legal advice and documents
- 30-day free trial available
- Experienced in various legal areas
- Expensive pricing for non-members
- Limited range of services compared to competitors
LegalMatch is a leading online legal services provider that connects individuals and businesses with qualified attorneys. Established in 1999, LegalMatch aims to simplify finding the right legal representation by offering a secure, user-friendly platform that streamlines the attorney-client matching process. LegalMatch assists clients in various legal areas, including family law, criminal defense, employment law, etc. Clients can receive proposals from pre-screened attorneys interested in their cases by completing a confidential case intake form.
- Attorney Matching: LegalMatch helps you find the right attorney for your specific legal needs by matching you with attorneys in North Carolina who specialize in your area of concern. This process ensures that you receive legal representation from an experienced professional who understands the nuances of your situation.
- Pre-Screened Attorneys: All attorneys within the LegalMatch network undergo a thorough screening process to ensure they are licensed, in good standing with their respective state bar associations, and possess the necessary experience to handle your case. This pre-screening process provides clients peace of mind, knowing they are being connected with qualified legal professionals.
- Confidential Case Intake: LegalMatch prioritizes the privacy of its users by offering a confidential case intake process. When you submit your case details, your information is kept secure and confidential within the LegalMatch system. Attorneys who review your case must maintain the confidentiality of your information and are prohibited from sharing it with third parties.
- Free Proposals from Attorneys: Once you submit your case details, attorneys in the LegalMatch network interested in your case will provide you with proposals outlining their experience, fees, and approach to your legal matter. This allows you to review multiple proposals from pre-screened attorneys, enabling you to make an informed decision on who to hire.
- Client Reviews and Ratings: LegalMatch features client reviews and attorney ratings, providing valuable insight into the experiences of previous clients. This information can help you choose the best attorney for your specific legal needs, based on the feedback of individuals who have previously worked with the attorney.
LegalMatch is free to use for individuals and businesses seeking legal representation. Attorneys pay a subscription fee to be part of the LegalMatch network.
- Wide range of legal practice areas
- Pre-screened and experienced attorneys
- Confidential case intake process
- Free proposals from attorneys
- Client reviews and ratings available
- Attorney fees vary and may be higher due to subscription costs
- No guarantees on the number of attorney proposals received
4. Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP
Cravath is recognized as a top-tier firm amongst the best business attorneys in their practice areas and jurisdiction which extends well beyond North Carolina. Driven by an unwavering dedication to excellence, the firm offers expert guidance and strategies in various business law areas providing comprehensive legal solutions to various challenges businesses face. With specialty areas including Mergers and Acquisitions, Corporate Governance, Executive Compensation, and Benefits, as well as Securities Law, Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP stands uniquely positioned to assist businesses with diverse needs. Their robust understanding of legal intricacies and trends and a tailored approach to clients’ needs ensure they continually enable businesses to navigate successfully.
Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP is recognized as one of the top business attorneys in North Carolina. They offer a wide array of legal services tailored to the unique needs of corporate clients. Key attributes of their service include:
- Handle Regulatory Enforcement and Litigation: Cravath’s seasoned attorneys deeply understand the professional services industry and efficiently manage various legal challenges. They utilize the firm’s comprehensive resources to deliver optimal client results.
- Defend Client and Investor Claims: The firm is skilled in protecting businesses from various client claims, including allegations of professional malpractice, contract breaches, and aiding in breaches of fiduciary duty.
- Provide Corporate Investigation, Transaction, and Financing Support: Cravath also lends its expertise to businesses during internal corporate and government investigations, helping them maintain compliance standards and ensure seamless operations.
- Commitment to Diversity and Pro Bono Work: Cravath is highly commended for its commitment to diversity and encourages its associates to participate in pro bono work actively.
- While the prospect of becoming a partner at Cravath, Swaine & Moore LLP is challenging, the firm’s reputation and high standards often pave the way for lucrative opportunities and rapid advancement at other establishments. The firm is, therefore, a prized destination for ambitious legal professionals in North Carolina.
- Cravath prides itself on its vast experience and stellar legal acumen, ensuring top-tier representation.
- Cravath provides various services, from court litigation to corporate internal investigation, catering to various business legal requirements.
- Engaging Cravath can enhance a business’s image due to the firm’s excellent reputation.
- Cravath’s formidable connections with influential entities in various sectors can provide significant advantages to its clients.
- Hiring Cravath for legal services may be costly because of its esteemed reputation.
- Accessing services offered by Cravath could be difficult due to the high demand for their expertise.
- The intense work setting at Cravath may not suit the culture of every client.
- Cravath’s decision-making process, believed to be less transparent, could reduce a client’s feeling of authority over their case.
- Due to Cravath’s size and handling of numerous high-profile cases, clients might not always receive individual attention.
5. Akerman LLP
Akerman LLP is well-known as one of the leading business law firms in North Carolina. With offices throughout the state, the firm boasts a diverse team of professionals, each bringing expertise and practical experience. They offer myriad legal services tailored to the unique needs of businesses and corporations. They are adept at dealing with transactional, litigation, and regulatory matters in various industries, including construction, real estate, retail, and healthcare.
The firm has been recognized by the Financial Times for its innovative approach to legal services and has been lauded by The American Lawyer and U.S. News & World Report among the top law firms in the country. With a focus on client satisfaction and a proven track record for delivering results, Akerman LLP is undoubtedly one of the best business attorneys in North Carolina.
Akerman LLP is considered one of the premier business legal firms in North Carolina. Their broad spectrum of services helps companies meet their regulatory and compliance obligations. Some of the noteworthy areas of their operations include:
- Advisory Services in Corporate Affairs: Akerman LLP offers esteemed counsel and representation in various corporate matters. This includes guidance in situations involving mergers, acquisitions, and issues related to corporate governance.
- Representation in Labor and Employment Law: The firm provides valuable legal services in labor disputes and employment law issues. They also advise on labor relations and employment policies.
- Expertise in Real Estate Law: Akerman LLP has practiced proficiency in various real estate transactions. These include acquisitions, disposals, and developmental projects.
- Protection of Intellectual Property Rights: The firm ensures the security of intellectual property rights and offers services related to copyrights, patents, and conflict resolution involving trademark registration.
- Guidance in Bankruptcy Law: Akerman LLP deals with bankruptcy cases and offers advice on business restructuring and insolvency.
- Services Related to Litigation: The firm stands with its clients in every stage of disputes, right from the preliminary assessment of risks to the trial and subsequent appeal.
- Healthcare Law Services: Akerman LLP extends legal services to healthcare entities, advising them on regulatory compliance, licensing, acquisitions, risk management, etc.
- Tax Law Consultation: Akerman LLP offers a complete range of advice on tax issues. This extends to international, state, local, and federal taxes.
- Advice on Consumer Financial Services: The firm provides legal counsel and representation in situations involving consumer financial services. This includes guidance on regulatory compliance and help dealing with enforcement actions and litigation.
- Assistance in Immigration Services: Akerman LLP helps businesses with all immigration law-related issues. This includes advising on matters of employment eligibility and immigration rules compliance.
- Services Related to Environmental Law: Akerman LLP aids clients in tackling complex matters related to environmental law.
- With its offices spread across the country, Akerman LLP can offer legal help in several areas.
- They specialize in many sectors, providing custom legal solutions accordingly.
- From corporate consultations to litigation, they offer a range of legal services.
- Housing experienced and skilled lawyers, Akerman LLP provides first-rate services.
- The Financial Times has acknowledged the firm for its innovation in providing legal services.
- Their superior services might be expensive, potentially making it less affordable for small enterprises.
- With a large organization, there’s a possibility that communication may lack a personal touch.
- The firm’s size might result in slower response times during peak times.
- Their specific area of expertise might restrict their capacity to address interdisciplinary issues.
- Depending on the case’s complexity, tasks might be assigned to associates with less experience.
Why Hire a Business Attorney
Hiring a business attorney can be beneficial for your business in several ways. From protecting your legal interests to offering expert advice, here are some reasons why you should consider hiring a business attorney:
- Legal expertise: Business attorneys possess specialized knowledge of business laws and regulations. They can help you navigate complex legal issues, identify potential legal problems, and ensure your business complies with relevant laws.
- Business formation: A business attorney can assist with selecting the appropriate legal structure for your business (LLC, corporation, partnership, etc.) and handle the paperwork required to create it. They can also help prepare and review essential documents like operating agreements, bylaws, and shareholder agreements.
- Contracts and agreements: A business attorney can draft, review, and negotiate contracts on your behalf. This includes agreements with suppliers, clients, employees, and other businesses. They will ensure your contracts protect your interests and comply with the law.
- Dispute resolution: Hiring a business attorney can help prevent and resolve disputes between parties, such as business partners, shareholders, or employees. If disputes arise, your attorney can help negotiate settlements, mediate conflicts, or represent your business in court if necessary.
- Intellectual property protection: A business attorney can help protect your business’s intellectual property, such as trademarks, copyrights, patents, and trade secrets. They can guide you through the registration process and enforce your intellectual property rights if they are infringed upon.
- Employment law: Business attorneys can help ensure compliance with employment laws, including hiring and terminating employees, drafting employment contracts and creating employee handbooks. They can also assist with claims related to discrimination, harassment, wrongful termination, and wage disputes.
- Regulatory compliance: A business attorney can ensure your business complies with relevant industry regulations, such as licensing requirements, zoning regulations, environmental laws, and safety standards.
- Mergers and acquisitions: If your business is involved in a merger, acquisition, or sale, a business attorney can guide you through the complex legal process. They can assist with negotiation, due diligence, and drafting necessary documents.
- Risk management: A business attorney can help identify and mitigate potential legal risks for your business, potentially saving you from costly lawsuits or penalties.
- Peace of mind: Hiring a business attorney assures you that your business is protected and operating within the bounds of the law. This can provide peace of mind as you focus on growing your business.
- Business Attorneys in Alabama
- Business Attorneys in Alaska
- Business Attorneys in Arizona
- Business Attorneys in Arkansas
- Business Attorneys in California
- Business Attorneys in Colorado
- Business Attorneys in Connecticut
- Business Attorneys in DC
- Business Attorneys in Delaware
- Business Attorneys in Florida
- Business Attorneys in Georgia
- Business Attorneys in Hawaii
- Business Attorneys in Idaho
- Business Attorneys in Illinois
- Business Attorneys in Indiana
- Business Attorneys in Iowa
- Business Attorneys in Kansas
- Business Attorneys in Kentucky
- Business Attorneys in Louisiana
- Business Attorneys in Maine
- Business Attorneys in Maryland
- Business Attorneys in Massachusetts
- Business Attorneys in Michigan
- Business Attorneys in Minnesota
- Business Attorneys in Mississippi
- Business Attorneys in Missouri
- Business Attorneys in Montana
- Business Attorneys in Nebraska
- Business Attorneys in Nevada
- Business Attorneys in New Hampshire
- Business Attorneys in New Jersey
- Business Attorneys in New Mexico
- Business Attorneys in New York
- Business Attorneys in North Carolina
- Business Attorneys in North Dakota
- Business Attorneys in Ohio
- Business Attorneys in Oklahoma
- Business Attorneys in Oregon
- Business Attorneys in Pennsylvania
- Business Attorneys in Rhode Island
- Business Attorneys in South Carolina
- Business Attorneys in South Dakota
- Business Attorneys in Tennessee
- Business Attorneys in Texas
- Business Attorneys in Utah
- Business Attorneys in Vermont
- Business Attorneys in Virginia
- Business Attorneys in Washington
- Business Attorneys in West Virginia
- Business Attorneys in Wisconsin
- Business Attorneys in Wyoming
How to Choose Business Attorney for Your North Carolina Business
How to Choose a Business Attorney for Your North Carolina Business
When starting or running a business in North Carolina, there are numerous decisions that need to be made. One vital choice that many business owners often overlook is selecting the right business attorney. A competent and experienced attorney can be an invaluable asset for your business, providing guidance and legal expertise that can help protect your company’s interests and ensure adherence to state laws and regulations.
So, how does one go about choosing the right business attorney in North Carolina? Here are some important factors to consider:
Specialization and Expertise: Just like in any profession, specialization matters when it comes to law. Look for a lawyer who specializes in business law, or at least has extensive experience in handling business cases. This will ensure that they have the knowledge, insights, and strategies needed to handle your specific legal concerns related to running a business in North Carolina.
Reputation: A good reputation is important in any profession, and the legal field is no exception. Research online and seek recommendations from trusted sources to find a business attorney with a solid reputation. Look for testimonials, reviews, or success stories that support their credibility and expertise. This will give you confidence in their ability to represent your interests effectively.
Local Knowledge: North Carolina has its own unique laws and regulations when it comes to business, making it crucial to find an attorney familiar with the local legal landscape. Look for someone who has practiced primarily in North Carolina or has experience addressing local business laws. Such a lawyer will understand the nuances of the state’s legal system and be able to navigate it effectively on your behalf.
Accessibility and Availability: A good attorney understands the importance of timely communication and the value of being accessible to their clients. When selecting a business attorney, ensure that they are available to meet your needs when required and exhibit prompt responsiveness. A lawyer who is responsive and attentive to your concerns can not only provide better legal representation but also demonstrate that they truly care about your business’s well-being.
Fit within Your Budget: Legal services can sometimes come with significant expenses. Before finalizing your decision, discuss fees and billing arrangements with potential attorneys. Some may offer an hourly rate, while others may use a flat fee or a retainer system. Choose a business attorney whose pricing structure aligns with your budget, allowing you to receive adequate legal support while maintaining financial stability for your business.
Personality and Compatibility: Building a strong working relationship with your attorney is essential. During your initial consultation, focus not only on their legal expertise but also on their personal demeanor, communication style, and shared values. Finding an attorney with whom you can establish good rapport can make meetings and consultations more productive and greatly contribute to the overall success of your business.
As the old saying goes, “Choose your battles wisely,” and the same can be said about choosing your business attorney wisely. Making thorough considerations and informed decisions can help you avoid costly mistakes and legal obstacles down the road, thereby safeguarding your business and promoting its growth.
Please note that though this comment provides valuable guidance, it is necessary to weigh and evaluate all the available options before making a final decision. Consulting multiple attorneys and considering professional recommendations will enhance your understanding and aid in making an ultimately informed choice regarding a business attorney for your North Carolina business.
Choosing the best business attorney for your North Carolina LLC depends on your needs and budget. LegalZoom and Rocket Lawyer offer more comprehensive services and access to legal advice but come with higher fees. ZenBusiness and Filenow provide affordable LLC formation services, while Northwest Registered Agent focuses on personalized customer service and privacy protection. Researching and comparing these providers is essential to find the best fit for your North Carolina LLC. Visit LLCBase for more information about starting an LLC in North Carolina.